8 large shrimp, deveined and shell removed, cut each shrimp into 4 pieces (8)
1/2 cup mixed red/yellow/orange bell peppers, diced (125 mL)
1/4 cup white onion, diced (60 mL)
1/4 cup celery, diced (60 mL)
1 Tbsp garlic, chopped (15 mL)
1 Tbsp salt (15 mL)
1 Tbsp smoked paprika (15 mL)
1 tsp chili flakes (5 mL)
1/4 cup canola oil (60 mL)
2 1/4 cups cooked tomato sauce (560 mL)
2 1/4 cups cheddar cheese, grated (560 mL)
2 Tbsp finely chopped chives (30 mL)
2 cups all-purpose flour (500 mL)
1 cup cornmeal (250 mL)
2 tsp sugar (10 mL)
¾ tsp salt (4 mL)
¾ tsp baking powder (4 mL)
2 ½ cups buttermilk (625 mL)
4 large eggs (4)
¾ cup canola oil (175 mL)
½ of a jalapeno, diced (1/2)
- Reserve cheddar cheese and chives. In a large bowl, mix together all other dry ingredients. In another large bowl, whisk together wet ingredients. Combine wet and dry ingredients whisking together.
- Heat a drizzle of canola oil in a non-stick pan on medium-high and use a ladle to cook pancakes until golden brown on each side. About ¼ cup of batter per pancake.
- In a large saucepan, heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Sauté peppers, onions, celery, and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Add salt, chili flakes and paprika. Once incorporated, add shrimp and sauté for an additional 3-4 minutes until pink.
- Add cooked tomato sauce to shrimp and veggies, stirring until shrimp and veggies are coated with tomato sauce and heated through.
- Place one pancake on the plate and top with cheddar. Spoon trinity sauce and shrimp overtop. Add another pancake and repeat for 3 layers. Garnish with chopped chives.
Trinity Shrimp Johnny Cakes
This cornmeal flatbread cake has a rich history in the United States and south into the Caribbean. A take on the traditional style, this recipe includes succulent shrimp and lovely smoked paprika. Jalapeños and chili flakes give this dish bite while cheddar cheese and cooked tomato sauce round out the flavours. For added flair, add a grilled half lemon to the plate before serving! Recipe provided by Chef Matt Basile of Fidel Gastro's. (Photography: Josh Tenn-Yuk)
- Serving Size
- 3 pancakes
- Total Fat
- 38.8 g
- Saturated Fat
- 7.1 g
- 127 mg
- 1604 mg
- 50.2 g
- 2.9 g
- 7.6 g
- 17.6 g
- 461 mg