1 medium kohlrabi (1)
1 medium carrot (1)
1 sweet red pepper (1)
¼ head small red cabbage, chopped (125 mL)
6 lettuce leaves, torn in thirds (6)
5 green onions, chopped (5)
½ cup fresh cilantro leaves (125 mL)
4 oz vermicelli rice noodles (1 block) (125 g)
2 Tbsp cashews, chopped (30 mL)
16 rice wrappers (16)
- Cut kohlrabi, carrots and red peppers into equal sized matchsticks.
- Cook vermicelli noodles by dropping into boiling water for 3 to 4 minutes until al dente. Remove and rinse well in cold water, drain thoroughly and set aside.
- Fill a shallow bowl big enough to fit rice wrappers with lukewarm water.
- Dip one wrapper into water until it’s pliable but not too soft or flimsy, 8 to 10 seconds only. It will be easier to handle when it is slightly al dente and will continue to soften as you work it. Remove from water, shaking excess water from wrapper. Place on dry cutting board or large plate.
- Centre lettuce strip on top of wrapper about 1 inch (2.5 cm) from the top leaving 1 inch (2.5 cm) on each side. The lettuce helps protect the wrapper from being pierced by the other vegetables. Top with a small layer of vermicelli, 2-4 kohlrabi sticks, 2-4 carrot sticks, 2-4 red pepper sticks, a bit of red cabbage, several cashews and a sprinkle of green onions and cilantro. Avoid overfilling the wrapper as it will be more difficult to roll.
- Bring top edge of wrapper tightly up and over the filling, pushing in filling with fingers. Roll slightly forward to completely cover filling. Fold sides to the middle of the roll. Continue to roll tightly until finished. Place on plate and cover with damp cloth while rolling others.
- Serve with your favourite dipping sauce.
If making ahead, lay rolls in a single layer leaving space between each roll to prevent them from sticking to each other. Cover with plastic wrap or damp towel and store in refrigerator. For best results use the same day.
Vegetable Summer Rolls
Summer rolls make a healthy, colourful and fun lunch or appetizer, especially when you make it a DIY feast. Prepare a variety of fillings and dips and let each guest roll their own summer roll. You’ll soon discover how many different ways there are to roll a rice wrapper! For extra flavour and fun, check out our Spicy Sriracha Dipping Sauce and Sesame Soy Dipping Sauce.
- Serving Size
- 1 roll
- Total Fat
- 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat
- 0.2 g
- 0 mg
- 53 mg
- 19.5 g
- 2 g
- 1.4 g
- 2.1 g
- 189 mg