Dressing (makes 6 Tbsp/90 mL)
- 3 Tbsp canola oil (45 mL)
- 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar (30 mL)
- 2 tsp liquid honey (10 mL)
- 1/4 tsp iodized salt (1 mL)
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup wheat berries, rinsed and drained (185 mL)
- 1 cup cooked brown lentils or use canned lentils, rinsed and drained (250 mL)
- 1 cup toasted walnut halves (see note) (250 mL)
- 3 thinly sliced green onions
- 1 large red-skinned apple, scrubbed well, cored and chopped
Note: Walnuts - to toast walnuts, preheat oven to 350°F (180°C), spread out on a baking sheet and roast for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool; chop and set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, cover wheat berries with 1 1/2 to 2 inches (4-5 cm) of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes. Drain and cool.
- Make the dressing in a small bowl; whisk together oil, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine the wheat berries, lentils, walnuts, green onions and apple. Pour dressing over top and toss well. Serve.
Wheatberry and Lentil Salad
"Wheat berries are whole, unprocessed wheat kernels that contain the bran, the germ and the endosperm. This recipe works well as a side and is a great potluck contribution. Adding lentils, a good source of protein, makes it a meal in itself" ~Erin MacGregor, PHEc, RD and CanolaConnect Alumni. Recipe courtesy of Homegrown by Mairlyn Smith, PHEc. Photography courtesy of Shel Zolkewich.
- Serving Size
- 5 1/2 cups (1.3 L)
- Total Fat
- 16.2 g
- Saturated Fat
- 1.4 g
- Trans. Fat
- 0 g
- 77 mg
- 25.6 g
- 5 g
- 5.3 g
- 7.7 g