2 cups whole-wheat flour (500 mL)
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar (175 mL)
1/2 cup large flake oats (125 mL)
1/4 cup ground flaxseed or ground flaxseed meal (60 mL)
1/4 unsalted raw pumpkin seeds (60 mL)
1/4 currents (optional) (60 mL)
2 Tbsp natural wheat germ (30 mL)
2 tsp baking powder (10 mL)
2 tsp cinnamon (10 mL)
1 cup skim milk (250 mL)
1/2 cup canola oil (125 mL)
2 omega-3 eggs (2)
1 cup zucchini, finely grated (250 mL)
1 cup carrot, finely grated (250 mL)
1/2 cup apple, chopped, peel on (125 mL)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (180°C). Line muffin tin with 12 large paper muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all of the wet ingredients.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir just to combine.
- Using a large ice cream scoop, scoop the mixture equally into the muffin liners.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into centre of a muffin comes out clean.
- Allow pan to cool slightly on a cooling rack for 5 minutes. Remove muffins from the pan and continue cooling before storing.
- Can be stored in a covered container for 2 to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
Zucchini & Carrot Breakfast Muffins
This truly Canadian recipe incorporates a long list of ingredients found right here on our nation's doorstep and perhaps in your backyard. And with a whopping four grams of fibre these muffins are guaranteed to satiate your hunger and get things moving! Recipe created by Joan Ttooulias, PHEc, excerpted from Homegrown, by Mairlyn Smith. Reprinted with permission of Whitecap Books, 2015.
- Serving Size
- 1 muffin
- Total Fat
- 14 g
- Saturated Fat
- 1.5 g
- 83 mg
- 36.4 g
- 4 g
- 16.3 g
- 7.4 g