2 cups all-purpose flour (500 mL)
1 tsp granulated sugar (5 mL)
1 tsp salt (5 mL)
2/3 cup canola oil (150 mL)
3 Tbsp cold 2% milk (or as needed) (45 mL)
2 Tbsp canola oil (30 mL)
3 cups thinly sliced zucchini (750 mL)
1 thinly sliced sweet onion (1)
3 eggs (3)
1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley (15 mL)
1/2 tsp garlic powder (2mL)
1/2 tsp dried basil (2 mL)
1/2 tsp dried oregano (2 mL)
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (2 mL)
1/4 tsp salt (1 mL)
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper (1 mL)
2 cups shredded medium Cheddar cheese (500 mL)
1 Tbsp prepared mustard (15 mL)
- In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt.
- In small bowl stir together canola oil and milk; add to dry ingredients. Stir together until dough forms pea-size crumbs, taking care to not over-mix. Place crumbly dough mixture into 9-inch (23 cm) pie pan, using fingers to press dough into bottom and sides of pie pan so that the dough is evenly disturbed. Flute dough around the rim of the pie pan with your fingers.
- Chill pastry for 20 to 30 minutes. Prick dough with fork to add small air vents. Refrigerate pie crust until needed.
- Pre-heat oven to 400⁰F (200⁰C).
- In large non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add zucchini and onion, cook stirring occasionally until softened, about 10 minutes. Drain on a paper towel and allow to cool.
- In large bowl, whisk together eggs, parsley, garlic powder, basil, oregano pepper flakes, salt and pepper; fold in zucchini mixture and cheese.
- Brush refrigerated pie crust with mustard. Pour zucchini mixture over top. Bake on lower oven rack for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the centre is set and knife inserted comes out clean. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting and serving.
"Every year our family's "three sisters" garden produces an abundance of zucchini. This quiche is a perfect way to cook up all those delicious veggies. Tender zucchini suspended in a creamy, cheesy egg base in a flaky canola oil crust is a flavourful dish with just a hint of heat." - Chef Jodi Robson
- 6 people
- Serving Size
- 1/6th Quiche
- Total Fat
- 39 g
- Saturated Fat
- 8 g
- Trans. Fat
- 0.13 g
- 118 mg
- 717 mg
- 39 g
- 2 g
- 4 g
- 14 g
- 249 mg