What’s your cupcake personality?
If you choose Strawberry Cupcakes, your Cupcake Personality is: Mr/Ms. Manners
Mr/Ms. Manners: Well, aren’t you civilized? Your first words were “please” and “thank you” and you learned the art of making a proper pot of tea before you were five (even if it was just pretend.) Not much has changed. As an adult, you are a most gracious host and can throw one heck of a garden party. You prefer cloth napkins over paper and know a salad fork from a shrimp fork. You are a good listener.
Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Icing Recipe
Strawberry Cupcake Recipe
Yield: 12 cupcakes
10 -12 large fresh strawberries
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour 375 mL
1 tsp baking powder 5 mL
¼ tsp salt 1 mL
1 cup granulated sugar 250 mL
1/3 cup canola oil 75 mL
1 tsp strawberry* or vanilla extract 5 mL
¼ cup 1% milk 60 mL
- Line muffin pan with cupcake liners. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Remove caps from strawberries and coarsely puree in small food processor. Measure out ¼ cup (60 mL). Set aside remaining puree for icing recipe.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well. Set aside.
- In large bowl, beat together sugar, canola oil, and eggs until thickened, about 2 – 3 minutes. Beat in strawberry extract. Add dry ingredients, ¼ cup (60 mL) strawberry puree and milk to wet ingredients. Beat mixture until well combined, about 1 minute.
- Divide cupcake batter into the paper lined muffin pan. Bake cupcakes for approximately 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean. Remove cupcakes from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
- Frost with strawberry icing. Recipe follows.
* The strawberry extract adds a whole new depth to this recipe.
Strawberry Icing Recipe
3 ½ cups confectioner’s sugar 875 mL
1/3 cup canola margarine 75 mL
3 Tbsp pureed strawberries 45 mL
1 tsp strawberry or vanilla extract 5 mL
- In a large bowl, beat together th confectioner’s sugar, margarine, pureed strawberries and extract until smooth and creamy. Adjust the amount of icing sugar or pureed strawberries if necessary.