- 10-12 large fresh strawberries (10-12)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (375 mL)
- 1 tsp baking powder (5 mL)
- 1/4 tsp salt (1 mL)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar (250 mL)
- 1/3 cup canola oil (75 mL)
- 2 eggs (2)
- 1 tsp strawberry* or vanilla extract (5 mL)
- 1/4 cup 1% milk (60 mL)
- 3 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar (875 mL)
- 1/3 cup canola margarine (75 mL)
- 3 Tbsp pureed strawberries (45 mL)
- 1 tsp strawberry or vanilla extract (5 mL)
- Line muffin pan with cupcake liners. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Remove caps from strawberries and coarsely puree in small food processor. Measure out ¼ cup (60 mL). Set aside remaining puree for icing recipe.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well. Set aside.
- In large bowl, beat together sugar, canola oil, and eggs until thickened, about 2 – 3 minutes. Beat in strawberry extract. Add dry ingredients, ¼ cup (60 mL) strawberry puree and milk to wet ingredients. Beat mixture until well combined, about 1 minute.
- Divide cupcake batter into the paper lined muffin pan. Bake cupcakes for approximately 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean. Remove cupcakes from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
- Frost with strawberry icing. Recipe follows.
* The strawberry extract adds a whole new depth to this recipe.
- In a large bowl, beat together the confectioner’s sugar, margarine, pureed strawberries and extract until smooth and creamy. Adjust the amount of icing sugar or pureed strawberries if necessary.
A strawberry dessert recipe that uses up all those freshly picked summer berries. These fruity and fragrant cupcakes use fresh strawberries in the batter and in the icing. Replace vanilla abstract with strawberry extract for a lip smacking reaction to your cupcakes. Perfect as an everyday dessert, summer picnics, bridal and baby showers. Baking with canola oil has its health benefits. Canola oil is light, doesn’t interfere with other flavours and reduces the trans and saturated fats in your baking, making it a heart healthy choice.
- Serving Size
- 1 cupcake with icing
- Total Fat
- 12 g
- Saturated Fat
- 1.5 g
- 30 mg
- 140 mg
- 73 g
- 1 g
- 3 g