2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (625 mL)
1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
1/2 tsp baking powder (2 mL)
2/3 cup canola oil, chilled in freezer for 2 hours* see note below (150 mL)
1/2 cup ice water (125 mL)
1 egg, beaten slightly (1)
1 Tbsp vinegar (15 mL)
½ cup tomato paste (125 mL)
1 tsp Tex Mex seasoning* (5 mL)
½ cup black beans (125 mL)
½ cup corn (125 mL)
½ cup chorizo sausage, diced (125 mL)
½ cup red pepper, diced (125 mL)
1 Tbsp dried oregano (15 mL)
1 avocado, cubed (1)
1 egg, beaten (1)
sour cream (optional)
- In a food processor, add flour, salt, and baking powder. Pulse once or twice to combine ingredients.
- Add cold/frozen canola oil. Pulse again once or twice.
- Combine water, egg and vinegar in a small bowl.
- With food processor running, pour liquid ingredients through the chute. Turn off machine as soon as ingredients are mixed, about 10 seconds.
- Turn dough out onto floured board. Divide dough in half.
- Use immediately or wrap each dough ball in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a small bowl, combine tomato paste with Tex Mex seasoning. Mix well and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine corn, black beans, peppers and chorizo sausage. Mix well and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- On a piece of parchment paper, roll out one dough ball into a ¼ inch thick, 12” circle.
- Spread tomato paste mixture in centre, leaving a two-inch perimeter.
- Spread corn mixture evenly over tomato base.
- Fold in edges of pastry all around in a circle and pinch. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with oregano.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
- Top with cubed avocado, cilantro and sour cream. Serve warm and store any leftover galette in the refrigerator.
Note: Can be used as a sweet or savoury pie dough pastry.
*Canola oil can be frozen overnight.
Fiesta Galette with Avocado
This light and flaky pastry dish with spicy filling makes any night a party. Zippy Chorizo and creamy avocado make every mouthful a Tex-Mex treat!
- 12 people
- Serving Size
- 1 slice
- Total Fat
- 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat
- 1.5 g
- 29 mg
- 228 mg
- 18.5 g
- 3.2 g
- 2.3 g
- 5.5 g
- 331 mg