- 3 to 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (750 mL to 875 mL)
- 2 1/4 (1 pkg) instant rise yeast (11 mL)
- 1 tsp salt (5 mL)
- 1 tsp onion powder (5 mL)
- 1 1/4 cup warm water (300 mL)
- 3 Tbsp canola oil (divided) (45 mL)
- 3-4 stalks rhubarb (3 to 4)
- 2 Tbsp canola oil (30 mL)
- 2 red onions, sliced thinly (2)
- 2 cloves garlic (2) or 4 garlic scapes chopped (4)
- 1 Tbsp honey (15 mL)
- ½ tsp salt (2 mL)
- ¼ tsp pepper (1 mL)
- 1 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar (15 mL)
- 3 oz crumbled goat cheese (90 g)
- Combine 3 cups of flour, yeast, salt and onion powder. Mix well.
- Form well in flour mix; add water and 2 Tbsp (30 mL) canola oil.
- Stir until ingredients are combined and becomes difficult to continue to stir with a spoon.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead for 6 – 7 minutes. Add more flour as needed to prevent stickiness.
- Shape dough into ball and place in oiled bowl turning to coat all sides with oil.
- Cover loosely with clean towel and let rest for at 10 to 15 minutes.
- Generously oil a 9 x 13” (23 x 33 cm) jelly pan.
- Roll and stretch out dough into an oval or rectangle covering most of pan.
- Use fingers to poke dimples into dough to bottom of pan.
- Cover with clean towel and let rest 40 to 60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Wash and slice rhubarb in 1/2” (1.5 cm) diagonal pieces. Set aside.
- In large saucepan over medium heat, heat canola oil.
- Add onions and garlic. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and cook onions and garlic for 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Onions should be tender, translucent and starting to brown with some red color still intact.
- Add rhubarb, honey, salt and pepper to onions. Continue to cook until rhubarb is tender but not mushy, about 8 – 10 minutes.
- Spread onion and rhubarb mix evenly on focaccia bread. Top with goat cheese.
- Bake at to 400°F (200°C) for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and serve warm.
Rhubarb and Caramelized Onion Focaccia
Sweet caramelized onions with lightly sautéed rhubarb on top of freshly baked focaccia makes a great appetizer or accompaniment for salad. Using red onions adds to the color of the rhubarb making this bread as attractive as it is tasty.
- Serving Size
- 1 piece: 2 x 3 - inch (5 x 7.5 cm)
- Total Fat
- 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat
- 1.1 g
- 2 mg
- 205 mg
- 19.5 g
- 1.3 g
- 2.1 g
- 4.3 g
- 86 mg