Pastry Pie Dough
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (550- 625 mL)
- 1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder (2 mL)
- 2/3 cup canola oil, chilled in freezer for 2 hours (150 mL)
- 1/2 cup ice water (125 mL)
- 1 egg, beaten slightly (1 )
- 1 Tbsp vinegar (15 mL)
- 5 firm apples (such as Granny Smith or Gala), peeled, cored and sliced (5)
- 1 Tbsp orange zest (15 mL)
- 1/2 cup sugar (125 mL)
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch (15 mL)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (2 mL)
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg (1 mL)
- 1 egg lightly beaten (1)
- 1 Tbsp water (15 mL)
- 1 Tbsp sugar (15 mL)
Pastry Pie Dough
- In a food processor, add flour, salt, and baking powder. Pulse once or twice to combine ingredients.
- Add cold/frozen canola oil. Pulse again once or twice.
- Combine water, egg and vinegar in a small bowl.
- With food processor running, pour liquid ingredients through the chute. Turn off machine as soon as ingredients are mixed, about 10 seconds.
- Turn dough out onto floured board.
- Transfer apples into a large mixing bowl. Toss in orange zest.
- In small bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Toss apples and sugar mixture together.
Assembling the Galette
- Roll out one dough ball on a lightly floured board into a circle about 12 inches (30 cm) in diameter.
- Transfer dough to a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Mound apples in center of pastry circle, leaving at least a 2 inch (5 cm) border.
- Gently fold edges of pastry over the apples, pleating loosely.
- Combine egg and water and whisk together.
- Brush dough with egg mixture.
- Sprinkle dough with 1 Tbsp (15 mL) sugar.
- Bake at 400°F (200°C) for about 40 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Serve warm.
Impress your guests and serve this for dessert at your next dinner party! Popular in French cuisine, galettes are free-formed pastries filled with vegetables, cheese or fruit such as apples. The flaky pastry is made using frozen canola oil. The apple and cinnamon filling gets baked directly in the galette. Eaten best warm and fresh right out the oven. If you like apple pie, you’re sure to love our galettes.
- Total Fat
- 20 g
- Saturated Fat
- 2 g
- 45 mg
- 190 mg
- 64 g
- 4 g
- 31 g
- 6 g
- 232 mg