1 ½ cups coarsely chopped English cucumber (about ½ inch dice), pureed (375 mL)
½ cup canola oil (125 mL)
1 cup sugar (250 mL)
1 Tbsp lemon zest (15 mL)
1 tsp lemon extract (5 mL)
2 eggs (2)
1 ¾ cups flour (425 mL)
2 tsp baking powder (10 mL)
4 oz cream cheese, softened (112 g)
2 Tbsp canola margarine (30 mL)
1/2 tsp lemon extract (2 mL)
3 – 4 cups icing sugar (750 mL – 1 L)
- Line muffin pan with cupcake papers. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Purée cucumbers in food processor to yield ¾ cup (175 mL) puree.
- In large bowl, beat the canola oil, sugar, lemon zest and lemon extract until well mixed. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour and baking powder in a separate bowl. Add 1/3 of flour mixture to the egg mixture and beat well. Add ½ of the pureed cucumber and beat, followed by 1/3 flour mixture, ½ puréed cucumber and then the final 1/3 flour mixture.
- Divide mixture into 12 paper cups. Bake cupcakes for 15 – 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean, when inserted into the centre of one of the cupcakes.
- Remove cupcakes from pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in canola margarine and lemon extract. Add enough icing sugar, beating well, to reach desired consistency.
- Frost cupcakes with cream cheese icing.
Cucumber Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Cream Cheese Icing
If you've never thought to bake with cucumber, this recipe will open up a whole new world of cucumber possibilities! Cucumber purée adds a delicate and subtle flavour while making for a moist batter. Paired with lemon and luscious cream cheese icing, this refreshing twist on classic lemon cupcakes will have your taste buds dancing.
- Serving Size
- 1 cupcake
- Total Fat
- 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat
- 3.3 g
- 44 mg
- 137 mg
- 65.4 g
- 1 g
- 49.7 g
- 3.5 g
- 170 g