4 slices bacon, diced (4)
¼ cup milk (60 mL)
1 tsp vinegar (5 mL)
1 cup whole-wheat flour (250 mL)
1 cup all-purpose flour (250 mL)
½ tsp salt (2 mL)
½ tsp baking soda (2 mL)
1/2 tsp dried thyme (2 mL)
½ cup canola oil (125 mL)
1/3 cup honey (75 mL)
2 eggs, lightly beaten (2)
1 granny smith apple, peel on and shredded (1)
½ cup unsweetened applesauce (125 mL)
1 cup extra old cheddar cheese, shredded (250 mL)
- Preheat oven to 350 °F (175°C). Lightly oil a 9 x 5” (23 x 13 cm) loaf pan with non-stick spray or use wet parchment paper that is well wrung out to line pan (making sure parchment paper overlaps sides of pan).
- Make buttermilk by adding vinegar to milk. Set aside to curdle.
- Sauté bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon with slotted spoon onto a paper-towel lined plate and set aside.
- Whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda and thyme in a large bowl, making a well in the centre. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine oil, honey and eggs and whisk vigorously until colour lightens. Add shredded apple, applesauce, and buttermilk, stirring to combine.
- Pour buttermilk-apple mixture into well of dry ingredients; stir only until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in cheddar cheese and the cooked bacon. Immediately pour batter into prepared loaf dish.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, until skewer inserted into centre comes out clean.
- Cool bread in the loaf dish on a rack for 10 minutes, then turn bread out of dish. Allow bread to completely cool on a rack before slicing.
Apple, Cheddar, Bacon Loaf
Mmm, bacon loaf. Slice this delectable treat and warm for maximum deliciousness. Be sure to set a piece aside for you first as this loaf will be gone before you know it.
- Serving Size
- 1 slice
- Makes 1 loaf (16 slices)
- Total Fat
- 12.3 g
- Saturated Fat
- 3.3 g
- 35 mg
- 256 mg
- 20.9 g
- 1.3 g
- 7.7 g
- 6.3 g
- 126 mg