Lentil and Mushroom Bolognese Sauce
1 Tbsp canola oil (15 mL)
1 medium onion, diced (1)
1 small carrot, thinly diced (about ½ cup/125 mL)
2 small stalks of celery, thinly sliced (about 1/3 cup/75 mL)
1 package white mushrooms, thinly sliced (225 g)
¼ cup sundried tomatoes in oil, drained and diced (60 mL)
3 cloves of garlic, crushed (3)
1 ½ Tbsp dried oregano (22 mL)
1 Tbsp no-salt added Italian seasoning (15 mL)
1/8 tsp dried chili flakes (0.5 mL)
1 jar crushed strained tomatoes (680 mL)
1 can lentils, drained and rinsed (540 mL)
¼ tsp pepper (1 mL)
¼ tsp salt (1 mL)
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (250 mL)
¼ cup fresh parmesan cheese, shredded (60 mL)
1/2 cup fresh herbs such as parsley, basil, or chives, minced (125 mL)
- Prepare spaghetti squash.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat add canola oil. Once oil is hot, add onions, carrot, and celery and sauté until onions are soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add mushrooms, sundried tomatoes, garlic, oregano, Italian seasoning and chili flakes and continue to cook until mushrooms have softened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Mix in crushed strained tomatoes and lentils. Season with pepper and salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally until spaghetti squash is ready, about 25-30 minutes.
- Once squash is ready, divide Lentil and Mushroom Bolognese sauce equally into each squash half. Top each half with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Set oven to broil and return squash to oven on upper rack to melt the cheese. Watch carefully and remove squash when cheese begins to lightly brown.
- Let squash sit for about 10 minutes before serving as it will be very hot. Top with fresh herbs and enjoy.
Baked Spaghetti Squash ‘Bowl’ognese
This dinner is a snap to make and even more fun to eat! Lentils provide fibre while the mushrooms give the sauce a wonderful earthy flavour. Whip this dish up when you’re pressed for time and would rather leave the dishes in the cupboard.
- Serving Size
- 1 half
- Total Fat
- 22.4 g
- Saturated Fat
- 6.5 g
- 29 mg
- 1337 mg
- 76.4 g
- 18.2 g
- 29 g
- 26 g
- 2035 mg