1 large sweet potato, sliced lengthwise into 4 - 1/4” slices (4)
1 Tbsp canola oil (15 mL)
2 small shallots, thinly sliced (2)
1 Tbsp fresh thyme (15 mL)
4 large mushrooms, thinly sliced (4)
12 spears of asparagus, trimmed and outer layer of stalk peeled (12)
4 eggs (4)
¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled (60 mL)
1-2 Tbsp fresh chives, minced (15-30 mL)
1/8 tsp salt (0.5 mL)
1/8 tsp pepper (0.5 mL)
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F (200°C) Place sweet potato slices on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Brush tops with 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil. Bake slices for about 15 minutes or until potato is tender. Remove from oven and set aside.
Sauté Shallots, Thyme & Mushrooms
- Meanwhile, heat 1 Tbsp canola oil (15 mL) in a medium size frying pan, over med-high heat. Add shallots and thyme and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add mushrooms and continue to sauté for 3-5 minutes until mushrooms begin to brown.
- Remove mushrooms from heat and set aside for assembly.
- Place asparagus in a steamer basket set over boiling water. Steam covered, until easily pierced with a sharp knife, 2-6 minutes, depending on size of the stalks.
- Remove from steamer basket and rinse asparagus under cold water to stop the cooking process. Place on paper towels to remove excess water and set aside.
- In a large pot, bring 3” of water to a gentle simmer over medium heat. Crack one egg into a fine mesh sieve set over top of a bowl. Let the watery white run through and discard. Transfer egg into another small bowl or ladle.
- With a slotted spoon stir poaching water to create a whirlpool, then gently transfer egg into centre of the whirlpool.
- Gently crack each egg into simmering water and set timer for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile , place sweet potato slices on individual serving plates.
- Top sweet each potato slice with 3 spears of asparagus. Divide mushroom mixture over top of asparagus. Sprinkle each one with 1 Tbsp (15 mL) of feta cheese, and 1 poached egg.
- Season with salt, pepper and chives. Serve immediately.
Poached Eggs with Asparagus & Mushrooms on Sweet Potato Toast
Try this as a no-fuss alternate to traditional English muffins for a savoury summer breakfast. Adding seasonal asparagus is a great way to add veggies to your morning routine. Top with mushrooms and feta for over the top deliciousness.
- Total Fat
- 22.1 g
- Saturated Fat
- 6.6 g
- 403 mg
- 479 mg
- 21.8 g
- 5.2 g
- 7.6 g
- 21.5 g
- 806 mg