- 1 cup sugar (250 mL)
- 1/2 cup canola oil (125 mL)
- 2 large eggs (2)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (250 mL)
- 1 tsp baking soda (5 mL)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon (5 mL)
- 1 tsp baking powder (5 mL)
- 1/4 tsp salt (1 mL)
- 1 cup pumpkin purée (250 mL)
- 6 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for pans (90 mL)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (175 mL)
- 3/4 cup sugar (175 mL)
- 1/4 tsp + pinch baking soda (1 mL)
- 1/4 tsp + pinch baking powder (1 mL)
- 1/4 tsp + pinch salt (1 mL)
- 1 large eggs (1)
- 6 Tbsp buttermilk (90 mL)
- 6 Tbsp water (90 mL)
- 2 Tbsp canola oil (30 mL)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (2 mL)
Whipped Brown Sugar Icing
- 7 Tbsp all-purpose flour (105 mL)
- 1 1/4 cup milk (310 mL)
- 1 1/4 Tbsp pure vanilla extract (16 mL)
- 1 1/2 cup salted butter, at room temperature (375 mL)
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed (375 mL)
- Pinch of salt (1 mL)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Butter two 8 inch (20 cm) layer round pans. Dust one with flour and one with cocoa.
- Combine sugar, canola oil and eggs in a mixing bowl; mix well.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder and salt in another bowl.
- Stir into oil mixture; beating well. Stir in pumpkin.
- Pour into the flour prepared pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes. Cool completely before turning out.
- Combine cocoa, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt into the bowl of a mixer. Beat on low until combined.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, water, oil and vanilla. Increase speed to medium and beat until very smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Pour into cocoa prepared pan. Bake until set about 30-35 minutes. Let cool completely before turning out.
- When both layers are fully cooled, take the one pumpkin layer and cut it in half, then the one chocolate layer and cut it in half so you have 4 sections of cake. Frost with Whipped Brown Sugar Icing alternating one chocolate section, pumpkin, chocolate and finish with pumpkin.
Whipped Brown Sugar Icing (from ihearteating.com)
- In a small saucepan, whisk flour into milk and heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens.
- Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature. Stir in vanilla.
- While the mixture is cooling, cream the butter, sugar, and salt together until light and fluffy on medium high, about 3 minutes. Add the completely cooled milk mixture.
- Beat for 5 minutes on medium-high to high until it looks like whipped cream.
Pumpkin & Chocolate Layer Cake With Whipped Brown Sugar Frosting
Impress your friends and family with this stunning cake! Chocolate and pumpkin? That's right! You get the best of both delicious worlds. The layers are separated and covered in whipped brown sugar frosting. It's light and sweet. Can I have seconds please! Recipe courtesy of EatInEatOut!
- 12 people
- Serving Size
- 1 slice
- Total Fat
- 38.9 g
- Saturated Fat
- 17.3 g
- 114 mg
- 534 mg
- 76.8 g
- 2.6 g
- 61.6 g
- 5.9 g
- 183 mg