- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for pans (175 mL)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (375 mL)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar (375 mL)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda (7 mL)
- 3/4 tsp baking powder (4 mL)
- 3/4 tsp salt (4 mL)
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (175 mL)
- 3/4 cup water (175mL)
- 3 Tbsp canola oil (45 mL)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (5mL)
- 1/4 cup cold water (60 mL)
- 2 tsp unflavoured gelatin (10 mL)
- 2 cups whipping cream (500 mL)
- 1/3 cup confectioner's sugar (75 mL)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (2 mL)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (125 mL)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (250 mL)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC) . Spray two 9 inch (22 cm) round pans with canola oil cookie spray and dust with cocoa.
- Combine cocoa, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt into the bowl of a mixer. Beat on low until combined.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, water, oil and vanilla. Increase speed to medium and beat until very smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Divide batter into pans. Bake until set about 24-29 minutes. Let cool completely before turning out and frosting. Dust with Maldon or Kosher salt.
- For filling: place cold water in microwaveable dish. Sprinkle gelatin over top and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- When ready to assemble, microwave gelatin for 10-15 seconds to dissolve. Allow to cool a bit, but DO NOT ALLOW TO SET AGAIN. It must still be liquid.
- Place cream, sugar and vanilla in large bowl.Whip on high until soft peaks form. Turn speed down to low and gradually pour in gelatin. Turn up to high and whip until very firm peaks form.
- For ganache: In a small microwaveable dish add cream and chocolate chips. Microwave for 30 seconds on high then stir. Repeat until smooth.
- Assemble cake: Place one layer on serving platter and remove any crown so it is totally flat. Spoon filling over top and top with second flat cake layer. Smooth out the cream all around the sides of cake. Drizzle ganache over cake top allowing it to flow down sides. Place in refrigerator and allow to firm up a bit before slicing to serve.
This stunning chocolate cake is rich yet light. The thick whipping cream centre balances the outer chocolate layers. The dark ganache icing is the finishing touch! Instead of buying a cake, make this for the next family party! Recipe courtesy of EatInEatOut.
- Serving Size
- 1 slice
- Total Fat
- 26.7 g
- Saturated Fat
- 14.1 g
- 93 mg
- 326 mg
- 55.2 g
- 3.4 g
- 36.9 g
- 7 g
- 240 mg