½ cup mayo (can substitute vegan mayo) (125 mL)
3 Tbsp ketchup (45 mL)
2 Tbsp relish (30 mL)
1 tsp white sugar (5 mL)
1 tsp white wine vinegar (5 mL)
½ cup dried red lentils, rinsed (125 mL)
1 ½ cups water (375 mL)
1 - 19 oz can navy beans, rinsed and drained (540 mL)
1 cup whole wheat panko (250 mL)
¾ cup chopped onion (175 mL)
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley (60 mL)
2 cloves garlic, minced (2)
1 Tbsp tamari soy sauce (15 mL)
½ Tbsp smoked paprika (7 mL)
1 tsp cumin (5 mL)
1 tsp oregano (5 mL)
½ tsp salt (2 mL)
½ tsp pepper (2 mL)
1 egg, beaten (1)
1 Tbsp canola oil (for cooking) (15 mL)
6-8 whole wheat buns (6-8)
Garnish: lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, onion
- In a small bowl combine sauce ingredients. Mix well, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a small saucepan add red lentils and 1 ½ cups (375 mL) of water. Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer for 15-20 minutes or until lentils have thickened and become paste-like.
- In a large bowl, mash navy beans using a potato masher. Leave some beans visible for texture.
- Add all other patty ingredients together with mashed bean mixture and mix well to fully incorporate all ingredients.
- Form patties to desired size (there will be very little shrinkage that occurs during cooking). Place formed patties on a parchment lined cookie sheet and set aside.
- In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add canola oil. Once hot, add 3-4 patties and cook about 3-5 mins per side, until golden brown on outside. Repeat with remaining patties.
- Assemble burgers with whole wheat buns, not-so-secret sauce, and your favourite toppings such as lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, and onions.
White Bean Burgers w/ Not-So-Secret Sauce
These vegetarian burgers are hearty and protein packed. This recipe can be made vegan by substituting the egg with a “flax egg” and using vegan mayo. If you want to use the “flax egg” you need to combine 1 Tbsp of flax + 2 Tbsp of water and let it set for 10 minutes.
- Serving Size
- 1 Patty + 2 Tbsp sauce
- Total Fat
- 6 g
- Saturated Fat
- 0.8 g
- 24 mg
- 317 mg
- 63.2 g
- 13.6 g
- 6.2 g
- 19.5 g
- 829 mg