- 1 recipe prepared cornbread, cut into 3/4 inch (2 cm) cubes - See recipe below
- 1 cup pecan halves, toasted (250 mL)
- 3 Tbsp canola oil (45 mL)
- 1 medium onion, diced (1 )
- 2 celery stalks, diced (2 )
- 10 oz mixed mushrooms (280 g)
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme (10 mL)
- 2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary (10 mL)
- 1/4 cup white wine (60 mL)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock, plus additional if needed (125 mL)
- 1 1/4 cup cornmeal (300 mL)
- 1 cup all purpose flour (250 mL)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (250 mL)
- 1/4 cup sugar (60 mL)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder (15 mL)
- 1 tsp pepper (5 mL)
- 1 1/4 cup milk (300 mL)
- 1/2 cup canola oil (125 mL)
- 2 eggs lightly beaten (2 )
1.Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC)
2.Place cornbread cubes on a large baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for approximately 35-40 minutes, or until dried and nicely browned. Toss at least once while toasting.
3.Coarsely chop pecans. Set aside.
4.In a large sauce pan over medium high heat, add canola oil. Sauté onion and celery 4 to 5 minutes until softened. Add mushrooms, thyme and rosemary, and salt and pepper and toss with onion and celery. Cover pan and cook for about 3 – 4 minutes, until mushrooms are just beginning to soften.
5.Remove lid and stir in white wine. Let wine completely reduce, about 3 -4 minutes.
6. Add bread crumbs and pecans to vegetable mixture. Toss to combine.
7.Stir in chicken stock. NOTE: The amount of stock added is dependent on the desired moistness of the stuffing
8.Transfer stuffing to a canola oil sprayed 9×13 inch baking dish or casserole dish. Bake at 300º F (150º C) for 35 – 40 minutes or until stuffing is nicely browned and cooked throughout.
*Artisan bread can be substituted for cornbread. Use 1 loaf as the substitute and follow instructions below.
1. Preheat oven to 400º F (200º C)
2. Spray 9 x 9 inch (23 cm x 23 cm) baking pan with canola oil.
3. In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flours , sugar, baking powder and pepper.
4. In a medium bowl, combine milk, canola oil and egg. Add to flour mixture. Stir until just moistened. Pour into baking pan.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until tested comes out clean.
6. Serve warm
Cornbread and Mixed Mushroom Stuffing
Homemade cornbread, pecans, herbs and mushrooms make the perfect stuffing mix for your next roast turkey or chicken dinner. No need to stuff a bird for this recipe. It is best when made in a baking pan which makes it perfect to also pair with roast turkey or chicken breasts or pieces.
- Total Fat
- 34.2 g
- Saturated Fat
- 3.2 g
- 50 mg
- 259 mg
- 52.6 g
- 5.6 g
- 11.3 g
- 11.6 g
- 428 mg