- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (75 mL)
- 3 cups fresh cilantro packed (750 mL)
- 3 garlic cloves (3)
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes or to taste (5 mL)
- 1 tsp dried oregano (5 mL)
- 1 tsp kosher salt or to taste (5 mL)
- 1/2 cup canola oil (125 mL)
- 1 1/2 lbs sirloin steak or beef tenderloin (750 g)
Special Equipment: Blender; 8 bamboo skewers (6-inch), soaked in water for 30 minutes
- Combine lemon juice, cilantro, garlic, pepper flakes, oregano, salt and canola oil in a blender. Process to form a thick puree. Taste and season with pepper flakes and salt as desired. Place 2/3 cup (150 mL) puree in an airtight container and refrigerate; reserve for sauce.
- Cut beef into 1 1/2-inch (4 cm) cubes. Place cubes in resealable plastic bag with remaining puree; squeeze out excess air. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 4 hours and up to overnight; turn as needed to evenly coat.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Clean it with a stiff brush, then rub with canola oil. Remove beef cubes from marinade, and thread onto skewers; leave a bit of space between cubes. Discard marinade. Sprinkle beef kebabs with salt to taste.
- Grill until nicely charred on outside with defined grill marks, about 2 minutes per side for medium-rare, 3 minutes per side for medium, and 4 minutes per side for medium-well. Drizzle some reserved Chimichurri Sauce over kebabs, and serve hot or at room temperature. Serve remaining sauce on side.
Grilled Chimichurri Beef Kebabs
For a true South American flavour, add some chimichurri to your grilled kebabs. Chimichurri is a fresh sauce popular in Argentina served over grilled beef, chicken or fish. It’s made with freshly chopped cilantro, garlic, lemon juice, crushed red pepper flakes and canola oil to give it the right consistency, making it the perfect addition to your summer BBQ’s. To maintain freshness and taste, serve immediately and cover the rest tightly with plastic wrap or store in an air-tight container. Recipe courtesy of CanolaInfo.
- Total Fat
- 28 g
- Saturated Fat
- 4 g
- 98 mg
- 394 mg
- 4 g
- 0 g
- 36 g