2 Tbsp canola oil plus more for frying (30 mL)
2 medium yellow onions, sliced* (2)
1-140g small goat cheese log (1)
1/4 cup sliced almonds (60 mL)
1 egg, lightly beaten (1)
1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs (75 mL)
1/4 tsp of salt (1 mL)
8 cups of baby arugula (140g)
1 medium apple, sliced (honeycrisp, gala, ambrosia) (1)
1/4 cup canola oil (60 mL)
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (15 mL)
1 Tbsp whole grain mustard (15 mL)
1 Tbsp maple syrup (15 mL)
1/4 tsp salt (1 mL)
- Heat 2 Tbsp (30 mL) canola oil in a shallow pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until soft and beginning to brown, 7 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until they are a deep chestnut brown, 40 minutes. If the pan becomes too dry and onions begin to stick, add water 1 Tbsp (15 mL) at a time.
- Unwrap goat cheese and transfer to a small plate or cutting board. Place in freezer for 15-20 minutes, until partially frozen.
- Meanwhile, in a frying pan over medium heat, toast almonds by stirring frequently for 3-4 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Prepare dressing in a small bowl by whisking ingredients together, set aside.
- Remove cheese from freezer and slice into 8 rounds.
Dredging Goat Cheese:
- In a medium bowl add whisked egg. In a second medium bowl, add panko and salt. Stir to combine. Dredge each goat cheese round into the egg, followed by the panko mixture. Press in breadcrumbs ensuring each round is well coated on both sides.
- In a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat, add enough canola oil to just cover the bottom of the pan. Heat oil until it shimmers on the surface.
- Fry goat cheese rounds for 30-45 seconds per side, or until golden brown. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Assemble the salad by topping arugula with apples, onions, goat cheese rounds and almonds. Drizzle with dressing and serve immediately.
*Make a double batch of onions. Add them to sandwiches, pastas, pizza or wraps for a delicious sweet and smoky treat. Store in fridge for 3-5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
This harvest salad combines the crispness of apples with toasted almonds and panko-toasted goat cheese rounds. Topped with a zesty whole grain mustard vinaigrette, this unique salad is perfect for lunches, as an appetizer or a main course. Recipe courtesy of How to Eat.
- 4 servings
- Total Fat
- 37 g
- Saturated Fat
- 9.4 g
- 77 mg
- 498 mg
- 23.8 g
- 4.2 g
- 12.8 g
- 12.9 g
- 826 mg