2 lbs live mussels (900 g)
2 Tbsp canola oil (30 mL)
1 medium white onion, finely chopped (1)
4 cloves garlic, finely minced (4)
1 cup canned cannellini beans, rinsed and drained (250 mL)
1 lb spicy chorizo sausages (450 g)
2 roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped (2)
½ cup dry white wine (125 mL)
Pinch of ground cumin
½ cup flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped (125 mL)
Pinch of sweet paprika
- Clean the mussels under cold, running water. Remove any hair connected to the mussel and discard any mussels that are completely or even slightly open.
- In a large, deep skillet or saucepan, heat the canola oil to medium-high heat. Sauté the onions for 2-3 minutes or until soften. Add the garlic and then the cannellini beans and stir to combine.
- Meanwhile open the sausage casing and remove the chorizo. Add the sausage to saucepan and cook the mixture, stirring occasional. Use a wooden spoon break down it down.
- Add ¼ cup (60 mL) of cold water, tomatoes, wine, cumin. Cook, stirring for 2-3 minutes to allow the flavours to develop.
- Add the mussels, cover and cook for 3-5 minutes or until the all the mussels open. Discard any mussels that do not open.
- Spoon into serving bowls, garnish with parsley and paprika.
Mussels and Chorizo
Mussels are great shellfish to eat. Not only are they one of the most sustainable seafoods on the planet, they're also quite affordable which makes them perfect for feeding a lot of people. The next time you have a large friend or family gathering try this mussel recipe. I'm sure it will be a huge hit. Recipe courtesy of Chef Matt Dean Pettit.
- 2 to 4
- Total Fat
- 30.3 g
- Saturated Fat
- 8.6 g
- 86 mg
- 838 mg
- 38 g
- 12.3 g
- 4.4 g
- 40.2 g
- 1357 mg