1 - 10x10” (25x25 cm) rolled puff pastry sheet (227g)
2 Tbsp canola oil (30 mL)
1 medium onion, diced (1)
1 carrot, diced (1)
2-3 celery stalks, diced (2-3)
6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1” (2.5 cm) pieces (450 g)
1 medium yellow potato, finely diced (1)
1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves (15 mL)
¾ tsp salt (4 mL)
¼ tsp pepper (1 mL)
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes (0.5 mL)
¼ cup all-purpose flour (60 mL)
1 ½ cup no-salt added chicken stock (375 mL)
1 cup frozen peas (250 mL)
2 Tbsp fresh parsley (30 mL)
1 egg (1)
- Remove puff pastry sheet from freezer and bring to room temperature (30-40 mins)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Heat 12” (30.5 cm) cast iron skillet over medium-high heat and add canola oil. Once oil is begins to shimmer, add onion, celery, carrots, and thyme. Sauté for 4-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle in flour coating vegetables and cook for additional 1-2 minutes. Add stock, chicken, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and potatoes. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, roll out puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Smooth out with a floured rolling pin. Using a glass, jar or round cookie cutter, cut circles of pastry, about 2.5” (6 cm) in size (try to maximize number of circles), and set aside.
- Add peas and parsley to chicken mixture, stir to combine. Remove from heat.
- Layer circles of puff pastry along the rim of the skillet. Work inward, to create multiple layers. It’s ok if the puff pastry does not cover the entire surface. Leave some space near the middle of the skillet to allow steam to escape. Be creative with your design!
- In a small bowl whisk egg. Using a pastry brush, brush egg on top of pastry.
- Carefully place skillet in preheated oven. Bake for approximately 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and chicken is cooked through.
- Allow pie to cool slightly before serving. Serve alongside salad or seasonal vegetables.
Note: chicken can be swapped for leftover turkey after the holidays.
Skillet Chicken Pot Pie
A Fall classic, this chicken pot pie is a one-skillet, no dairy, dish that is a snap to throw together during the week. Cut the puff pastry into your favourite shapes with cookie cutters and layer on top for a perfectly scoopable portion.
- Serving Size
- 1 piece
- Total Fat
- 25.7 g
- Saturated Fat
- 4.3 g
- 138 mg
- 563 mg
- 33.2 g
- 3.3 g
- 3.6 g
- 25.6 g
- 487 mg