- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (625 mL)
- 1 tsp salt (5 mL)
- 1 cup canola margarine (250 mL)
- 1 egg, divided yolk and egg white (1)
- 3/4 cup 1% milk (175 mL)
- 5-7 medium apples peeled, cored, sliced (1.125 - 1.5 L)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (125 mL)
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour (30 mL)
- 1 tsp cinnamon (5 mL)
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg (2 mL)
- 1 cup icing sugar (250 mL)
- 1-2 Tbsp water (15-30 mL)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
2.Using a food processor, attach dough blade (if you do not have a food processor, mix by hand in a large bowl). Add all purpose flour, salt, canola margarine, egg yolk and milk. Pulse until dough is smooth. Roll into a ball on a floured surface. Dough will be sticky.
3. Place apple slices into a large bowl. In a small bowl mix together sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add to apple slices. Mix well.
4. Divide pastry dough into two balls. Roll one ball out to approximately 20 x 30 cm (8 x 12 inch). Place on parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Add apple mixture. Roll out second ball of pastry to an equal size and place on top. Pinch sides together to form a seal. Make six slits on top of the dough. Beat reserved egg white with a fork. Brush on top of pastry dough.
5. Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly golden.
6. To make glaze combine icing sugar, water and vanilla in a small bowl. Mix well. Drizzle on top of hot tart.
Looking to be inspired to use your bounty of apples or do you need to feed a crowd, then try this apple tart made from a wonderful pastry dough that is so simple and easy to use.
- 18 people
- Serving Size
- Total Fat
- 10 g
- Saturated Fat
- 1.5 g
- 10 mg
- 135 mg
- 37 g
- 1 g
- 3 g