½ cup popcorn kernels (125 mL)
4 tsp canola oil (20 mL)
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp canola margarine, divided (90mL)
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed (125 mL)
2 Tbsp corn syrup (30 mL)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (2 mL)
1/4 tsp baking soda (1 mL)
2 Tbsp cheddar cheese powder (found in bulk stores) (30 mL)
½ Tbsp buttermilk powder (7 mL)
¼ tsp mustard powder (1 mL)
- In a large saucepan, heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Add popcorn kernels. Place lid on and let kernels cook, shaking occasionally to prevent burning. Allow steam to escape while popping and when the popping slows to 3 to 5 seconds between pops, remove pan from burner. Divide popcorn between 2 large bowls.
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C). Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Caramel Popcorn: In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine ¼ cup (60 mL) margarine, brown sugar and syrup. Stir continuously until mixture reaches a boil, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and add vanilla extract and baking soda and stir to combine.
- Pour caramel sauce over popcorn in own bowl and stir well to coat. Evenly distribute popcorn on baking sheet. Place in oven for 10 minutes. Remove and stir popcorn, place back in oven for another 10 minutes. Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack
- Cheese Popcorn: In a small bowl combine cheddar cheese powder, buttermilk powder, and mustard powder and set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, melt 2 Tbsp (30 mL) margarine. Remove from heat and toss with remaining popcorn. Then toss well with cheese mixture.
- Once caramel popcorn has cooled and hardened, break apart any large clusters. Mix with cheese popcorn.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Caramel and Cheddar Popcorn
This sweet and salty mix is the best of both worlds! It's a popcorn recipe that's perfect for watching the game, that movie you’ve been wanting to see, or for tiding over your hungry brood before dinner.
- Serving Size
- 1 Cup
- Makes 12 Cups
- Total Fat
- 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat
- 0.5 g
- 0 mg
- 140 mg
- 19.7 g
- 1.1 g
- 13 g
- 0.3 g
- 37 mg