2 Tbsp canola oil (30 mL)
12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2 inch (1 cm) slices (350 g)
1 cup onion, diced (250 mL)
1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces (1)
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces (1)
2 medium garlic cloves, minced (2)
6 oz fresh or frozen and thawed okra, cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) slices (170 g)
1 -(14.5 oz) no-salt- added stewed tomatoes (428 mL)
1 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves (7 mL)
1/4 cup parsley or green onion, finely chopped (60 mL)
2 tsp Louisiana hot sauce (10 mL)
1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
2 cups brown rice, cooked (500 mL)
1. In a large skillet, heat 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil over medium-high heat. Cook chicken 3 minutes or until slightly pink in center, stirring occasionally. Set aside on separate plate.
2. Heat remaining 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil and cook onions and peppers for 4 minutes or until vegetables begin to lightly brown on edges. Stir in garlic and cook 15 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in okra, tomatoes, thyme, and chicken. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are just tender. Remove from heat.
3. Stir in parsley, hot sauce and salt. Cover and let stand 5 minutes to absorb flavours.
4. Meanwhile, prepare rice according to package directions. Serve the chicken mixture over rice.
Chicken and Okra Creole
This Cajun-inspired dish makes a great one-dish meal. Its packed with tons of flavour, fast to make, and even faster to clean up. Only one skillet required. Canola oil aids in browning and tenderizing the chicken, plus blends the flavours of other ingredients. Recipe provided by canolainfo.org.
- Serving Size
- 1¼ cups (310 mL) chicken mixture and 1/2 cup (125 mL) cooked rice per serving
- Total Fat
- 10 g
- Saturated Fat
- 1.5 g
- 45 mg
- 420 mg
- 42 g
- 6 g
- 8 g
- 23 g
- 608 mg