10-12 large ripe field tomatoes, quartered (4.5 lbs/2 kg)
1 head garlic, peeled (1)
¼ cup canola oil, divided (60 mL)
1 large yellow onion, diced (1)
1 stalk celery, diced (1)
1 medium carrot, diced (1)
8 sprigs fresh thyme (8)
1 tsp dried oregano (5 mL)
½ tsp salt (2 mL)
¼ tsp pepper (1 mL)
4 cups no-salt added vegetable broth (1L)
3 cups fresh basil (750 mL)
2 Tbsp tomato paste (30 mL)
1 Tbsp maple syrup (15 mL)
1/3 cup 18% table cream (75 mL)
Grilled Cheese Skewers:
4 slices of light rye (4)
1/2 cup of shredded cheese - cheddar or gruyere (125 mL)
2 tsp Dijon mustard (10 mL)
1 Tbsp canola oil (15 mL)
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- On a parchment-lined baking sheet, place tomato wedges and garlic and toss with 2 Tbsp (30 mL) canola oil. Cook for 45 -60 minutes or until tomatoes are slightly caramelized.
- In a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add 2 Tbsp (30 mL) canola oil. Once oil is hot add onion, celery and carrot. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, until onions begin to brown and celery and carrot begin to soften. Add thyme, oregano, salt and pepper and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Add in roasted tomatoes and garlic, vegetable broth, tomato paste and basil. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, and reduce to simmer, uncovered for 35-40 minutes. Discard thyme stems.
- In batches, in a high-speed blender or with a hand-held immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. Stir in maple syrup and cream.
Grilled Cheese Skewers:
- Brush one side of each of the four pieces of bread with canola oil.
- In a large non-stick skillet on medium-high heat, add two pieces of bread, oil side down to the pan. Add 1 tsp (5 mL) of Dijon mustard to the non-oiled side and spread across top of bread. Add 1/4 cup (60 mL) of shredded cheese to the two slices in the pan.
- Top with remaining slices of bread, oil side up. Reduce heat to medium.
- Once cheese has begun to melt, flip sandwich. Grill for another 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from heat, slice each sandwich diagonally into 4-6 triangles. Add ½ of sandwich to one bamboo skewer, repeat with other half.
- Serve soup in a bowl with one grilled cheese skewer.
Note: Add remaining soup to a large freezer bag and freeze up to one month.
Roasted Tomato Bisque with Grilled Cheese Skewers
This perfectly roasted rainy day combo will be a sure hit in your household. Use any combination of cheese and dip your grilled cheese bites into the bisque for the ultimate flavour experience.
- Serving Size
- 2 cups soup + 1/2 grilled cheese
- Total Fat
- 15.2 g
- Saturated Fat
- 16 mg
- 515 mg
- 35 g
- 5.6 g
- 15.6 g
- 10.1 g
- 901 g