2 Tbsp canola oil (30 mL)
2 tsp whole cumin seeds (10 mL)
2 Tbsp finely minced ginger (30 mL)
1 green Thai chili pepper, sliced lengthwise (optional) (1)
1 small onion, thinly sliced (1)
1 large carrot, grated (1)
1/8 tsp cayenne (.5 mL)
1/4 tsp pepper (1 mL)
1/2 tsp garam masala (2 mL)
1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
2 1/2 tsp turmeric (12 mL)
1/3 cup water (75 mL)
1 package (350g) extra firm tofu, grated (1)
1 cup frozen green peas (250 mL)
1/4 cup cilantro, for garnish (optional) (60 mL)
- In a large skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat, add canola oil. Carefully add in whole cumin seeds and heat for about 1 minute, stirring often and being careful not to burn.
- Add ginger, chili pepper (if using) and sliced onion, and stir often for 3 minutes until the onion turns to a light caramel colour.
- Add grated carrot, cayenne, pepper, garam masala, salt, turmeric and water. Cook for 3 minutes until the carrots are cooked through, stirring often. Add more water if your mixture is getting dry and the contents are sticking to the pan.
- Add in grated tofu and peas. Stir together until the tofu has picked up the bright yellow colour of the spices. Cook for 3 minutes until peas are heated through.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with rice, roti, naan or between slices of bread as a sandwich.
Bright and warm aromatic spices make this dish come to life. Quick and easy, this dish can be enjoyed in so many different ways. Try serving with rice, roti, naan, or between slices of bread as a sandwich for lunch.
- 4 people
- Total Fat
- 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat
- 1.3 g
- 0 mg
- 304 mg
- 17 g
- 4.6 g
- 5.4 g
- 10.4 g
- 411 mg