1 cup hot water (250 mL)
2 tsp granulated sugar (10 mL)
2 1/4 tsp traditional active dry yeast (11 mL)
1 cup cold mashed potatoes (see Tip) (250 mL)
1 tsp salt (5 mL)
1 egg, lightly beaten (1)
5 Tbsp canola oil, divided (75 mL)
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (875 mL)
- In a large bowl, combine water and sugar. Mix until dissolved. Sprinkle yeast over top and let stand for about 10 minutes or until frothy. Whisk in potatoes, salt, egg and 1/4 cup (60 mL) of the oil. Gradually stir in 3 cups (750 mL) of flour to create a sticky ragged dough. Turn out onto floured surface and knead in enough of the remaining flour to create a smooth soft dough. Place in a large oiled bowl; cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rise for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Punch down dough and divide into 18 pieces. Roll each piece into small balls and place side by side in a 13 x 9 inch (33 x 23 cm) oiled pan. Cover and let rise for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350℉ (175ºC).
- Brush with remaining oil and bake for about 25 minutes or until golden and sound hollow when tapped.
- Remove from oven and let stand 3-5 minutes. Remove buns from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
Tip: Use unseasoned mashed potatoes for the potato rolls. For about 1 cup of mashed potatoes you will need about 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped and boiled in unsalted water for about 20 minutes until tender. Drain and mash well and let cool completely before using.
Soft rolls are a delicious addition to any dinner. Serve up the entire batch at your next big get-together, or freeze half and to use later as slider buns or make sandwiches for a delicious lunch.
- 18 people
- Serving Size
- 1 bun
- Total Fat
- 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat
- 0.5 g
- 10 mg
- 165 mg
- 21.6 g
- 1 g
- 0.8 g
- 4 g
- 74 mg